Saturday, April 4, 2009

Update our Situation

So here's the deal.

This is very hard to say, and difficult to relay but it has to be said because I don't want to hide anything.

I received a call from an unavailable number from Josh on Thursday night. I hadn't expected any calls at all and had left my phone, like an idiot, in the bathroom. My heart raced when I heard his message. It just said to call him at a certain number. I had no idea what was going on. It was late Texas time by the time I called, but I had to know what was going on.

I called not knowing where or who I was calling.

A very dull sounding woman answered, I couldn't understand what she said.

"HI, I'm looking for Josh Allington. I got a call on my phone from him."

"Hold please," the woman said.

Okay...I still didn't know what was going on.

After being on hold for awhile, she came back.

"Ma'am?" She asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"Unfortunately all of our patients are sleeping. We can neither confirm nor deny that he-"

I cut her off abruptly, only hearing that awful word patient. "Wait, patient? Is he ok?"

"Hold please," she said again.

I wanted to scream, "no don't leave until I know what is going on!"

What seemed like forever, I mean literally forever, I finally heard a voice on the phone. It was a voice that I recognized. It was Josh's.

"Josh?" I squeaked. "Yeah," he replied.

"What is going on?"

"Okay, look, I've been put in the hospital because apparently I have an anxiety problem."

"Okay...now what?" I asked, my brain trying to process the information. He had never had problems with anxiety before. It didn't make sense.

"I am going to get transfered to a different squadron," he began.

"You are going to be behind too?" I gasped.

"No, I get transferred and then I am on medical discharge, I come home."

Discharge. I couldn't believe it. He was telling me he was done with the air force.

He had to go from the phone, but I eventually got ahold of him later the next day on a pay phone number of the hospital that he gave me. He explained what happened. I don't think anyone can really understand unless they had to experience it like he did, but all he wants me to tell everyone is that he has an anxiety problem and that his personality doesn't mix with the military. The military isn't for everyone, and apparently it wasn't right for him.

He is going to a squadron that gets outprocessed on Monday, which apparently takes 2-6 weeks. He said he heard the average was 3 weeks. So the one bright side is that he will be home for the baby's birth. Maybe that was meant to be.

We are thinking about moving back to SD. Things just haven't been great for us out here and the valley's unemployment rate is close to 20 percent, it is nearly impossible to find a job. The only problem is finding the money to go back.

So, that is things how they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment