Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ultrasound

So yesterday was the much anticipated, and the much dreaded ultrasound (only dreaded because I hate having to drink soooo much water.)

Anyway, I drank a bunch of water in the car and by the time we got to the the clinic, I looked at Josh and said, "Oh Man, I already have to pee." So that wasn't a great start for me, lol. And then it felt like they were never going to call my name, and I am trying not to think about how much I have to go to the bathroom. They finally called my name and I breathed a sigh of relief and they took us to this tiny little room separated by a curtain. Our ultrasound technician was as old as the hills. I swear to god this guy probably used the first ultrasound equipment ever. He wasn't a big smiler and apparently wasn't a huge talker. There wasn't a screen to where I could see what was going on so just the ultrasound guy and Josh could see what he was doing and that irritated me a little. I hated not knowing what was going on, especially since it was my body and I was being left out in the dark!!!

So the ultrasound guy had a crabby look on his face, or at least he was frowning, and he said," Did you have any irregular periods?" I said truthfully, "No........."and then I can't help but ask him why, because he can't ask a question like that and not elaborate on why he is asking the question. "The baby is measuring smaller than what I have on your charts. I don't think you are as far along as you think you are."

My stomach dropped directly to my toes. I knew that my date was about 99% accurate. I had charted my last missed period on the calendar like always and had taken a pregnancy test many, many weeks ago. So I was thinking that I wasn't wrong, so there was something wrong with the baby. I was totally freaked out and wanted him to tell me what was going on.

An eternity later, he finally turned the screen around and said, "The baby is curled up in a little ball."
"Oh!" I exclaimed, looking at the picture. It was barely discernible. Seriously, the baby was curled up as tight as it could get, making it hard to figure out what was what.
"Is that why it was measuring small?" I asked. "Yes," He answered. Needless to say, I felt so much better after he said that, but I was a little peeved that he had scared me.

The ultrasound picture we were able to take home is a little hard to make out, to say the least. Like I said, the baby was curled in a ball and it is hard to tell the feet from the head in the picture. haha. The baby stayed asleep through the entire ultrasound, which I thought was pretty funny because the ultrasound guy had certainly rocked the boat. He pointed out the baby's beating heart to us, which I thought was pretty amazing.

Just as we were prepared to leave, the ultrasound guy said, "I measure the baby at 17 weeks and 5 days." That surprised me because I was just 17 weeks and I told him so. "That would put your due date at May 15th."

So I am curious to see what the dr says and if he is going to use the due date from the ultrasound or the original due date, May 20th. We have a drs appointment on Friday, so we should find out anything else out on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment